Sunny Gully - Luxury Accommodation - Nelson, New Zealand

Artistic History and Modern Elegance



The Sunny Gully property is part of Nelson's history. The house and Studio have been completely re-built or renovated by their previous owners J and Rose Sorren-Norness returning the former glory of the buildings.

The Sunny Gully Studio has been re-built on the location of John Gully's house and Studio which were situated behind the main house, set amongst beautiful gardens.

John, GULLY,
Artist and surveyor.
John Gully was born in Bath, England, of a family to which also belonged the prize fighter, John Gully (1783-1863), and Sir William Court Gully, Q.C., who became Speaker of the House of Commons in 1895 ...more

After passing away in 1888 he bequeathed 25 of this watercolours to Andrew Burn Suter, Bishop of Nelson. The Suter Te Aratoi o Whakatu was founded as a memorial to Andrew Burn Suter, Bishop of Nelson from 1866 to 1891

The main house was built in 1909 by the William Rogers [1860-1940].
An interesting story...

1898 The SS Ruapehu, bound from London to Wellington, stranded in broad day light on the Farewell Sandspit and the Waverley was sent to her assistance. She arrived early in the morning and during the day was joined by seven or eight other steamers willing to give assistance (and incidentally to earn salvage).

However, it was the case of the "mouse and the lion". All the steamers with the exception of the Waverley were of too deep a draught to get alongside the stranded vessel and consequently she was the only means of communication between the Ruapehu and the other vessels, two of which were intended to tow her off at the next high tide.

Unfortunately, when transferring a heavy wire hawser from the Talune to the Ruapehu a Manila rope to which the hawser was attached became entangled in one of the propellers of the Waverley, and for a time it was feared that not only would the Waverley be out of action, but the special towing hawser would be lost. Captain Bendall, acting on behalf of Lloyds, endeavoured with the assistance of a boat's crew to clear the line but after considerable buffeting in a heavy sea gave it up as hopeless.

William Rogers [1860-1940], having gained experience in similar propeller troubles volunteered to undertake the job and after a rough time in and out of the water, he managed to free the rope. Later the chairman of the Anchor Line presented William's wife with a gold brooch representing a propeller entangled in rope to commemorate the event. William Rogers had joined the Anchor Line as a 15 year old and served some years at sea as Purser, retiring as the Managing Director in 1936 after more than sixty years of service with the company ...more



Contact Us

407 Trafalgar Street South
Nelson 7010
New Zealand
Phone: +64-3-546-6044
Fax: +64-3-546-6044